1.1. Quality policy statement
The Department of Communication, Media and Culture (CMC) in collaboration with the Quality Assurance Unit (MODIP) and the relevant services of the University has aligned the Quality Assurance Policy of the Undergraduate Programme (PPS) with that of Panteion University, aiming at the continuous improvement of the quality of educational, scientific and research work, in accordance with the international academic standards and good practices of the European Higher Education Area, the principles of the Hellenic Authority for Higher Education and existing legislation.
The provision of high-quality education as well as the strengthening and improvement of research conducted in the Schools and Departments is a fundamental goal of the University’s development strategy, to which the Administration and its staff are committed. Panteion University’s Quality Assurance Policy and its implementation strategy are undertaken by MODIP, (a unit created for the University in 2019), while the Academic Departments have Departmental Committees (OMEA) organising, coordinating and implementing the Quality Assessment and Quality Assurance procedures, consistent with the regulations. Τhe University Senate passed a resolution to adopt the organisation, structure and functioning of MODIP and the E.S.D.P. (Internal System of Quality Assurance) that was published in the Official Gazette (1995/2018). The educational and administrative staff is regularly informed by MODIP of the evaluation procedures, as defined by existing legislation, and actively implements these.
Since it was founded, Panteion University has been promoting a philosophy of quality embracing the following fundamental values:
- the advancement of science and the transfer of knowledge in the educational context of a public university;
- empowerment of and excellence in research and education;
- academic freedom in teaching and research, as well as free expression and circulation of ideas within the Constitutional framework, the laws and the regulatory obligations and standards;
- respect for meritocracy for faculty and staff;
- continuous development and modernisation of undergraduate and postgraduate studies;
- a student-centred approach to learning;
- the creation of conditions which invite student participation in all procedures directed towards them.
1.2. Objectives and actions for quality assurance
For the implementation of the Quality Assurance Policy of its undergraduate programme (UP), the Department of Communication, Media and Culture is committed to implementing procedures that ensure:
- The continuous monitoring and renewal of the UP and the expansion of its interdisciplinary scope, in accordance with the European and international standards and principles and directions of the Hellenic Authority for Higher Education.
- The provision of a high-level theoretical knowledge, as well as of applied experience in the fields and specialisms of Communication, Media, Culture and Cultural Management.
- The adequacy of the qualifications of the faculty and the application of transparent and meritocratic procedures for their selection.
- The conducting of research within an interdisciplinary framework, and the connection of research and teaching to current social needs.
- The development, strengthening and promotion of students' skills and qualifications, in accordance with the European and National Higher Education Qualifications Framework, and their preparation for a successful career.
- The consolidation of the Department as a centre of excellence for teaching, research, and provider of professional skills for graduates and, foremost, the strengthening and expansion of communication and cultural studies in Greece.
- The contribution of the Department to society, the economy and cultural life, in co-operation with institutions, organisations and universities with similar interests and in order to promote strategies and policies in the fields of communication, media and culture.
- The strengthening of its international presence, through cooperation with educational institutions and professional organisations in Greece and abroad.
- The quality of support services, such as administrative services and infrastructure development and maintenance.
1.3. Ways of communicating quality policy
The Quality Policy of the Department is communicated in the following ways:
After being approved by the University Senate, the Quality Policy is announced to all interested parties and stakeholders, and is posted on the Department’s website. In the case that the Policy is reviewed, it is updated on the website as well.
During student orientation events, emphasis is given to the University’s and the Department’s Quality Policy.
In the Department’s social media (Facebook, Twitter), which contribute to the continuous publicity and feedback from stakeholders (faculty, students, institutions, public and private sector organisations).
During the communication with research and professional organisations, involved in the internship and research programmes.
Through numerous events, lectures, workshops and conferences organised by the Department, as well as through social and cultural activities, which attract publicity and implicitly evince the Quality Policy. Moreover, due to its distinctive qualities, as a Department of Communication, Media and Culture its very activities are intertwined with publicity and communication.